Friday 13 March 2015

5c. Relating Ethical Theories to my Inquiry


The three main contexts where ethics are considered are shown below:

  • PERSONAL
  • PROFESSIONAL
  • ORGANISATIONAL




Source from - http://ethicseducationonline.net/

These contexts can be informed by many sources.  For example:

PERSONAL - Family values, Religion, Conscience
PROFESSIONAL - The norms of particular Professions/Code of conduct
ORGANISATIONAL - Relates to Organisational Culture / Ethos (Greek word meaning character)

"Ethics is frequently not a case of black and white - where an action is either right or wrong.  Often, it is rather a grey area where there is uncertainty and where other issues and considerations can affect outcomes".  (Middlesex University WBS 3630 - Reader 5)

Many Philosophers have different opinions and theories about ethics.  Below are some of these theories:

Ethics can be traced from Plato and Aristotle and the Greek Philosophers saw ethics as a notion of good and bad.  Ethics stem from moral philosophy and focuses on the right/good way to carry out actions.  Aristotle was concerned with the character of an individual.  I feel I agree with this theory because everyone has their own personal views on what can be morally right or wrong.  I feel a lot of it stems from character traits and the individuals background and experiences. 

Another Philosopher who considered the issue of ethics for a social good is Hobbes (1651). Hobbes believed that in order to achieve a peaceful and co-operative order amongst society, a set of moral rules would need to be followed.  

In the 13th Century, Aquinas placed ethics within a religious and Christian context by believing that all things created by God, provide a natural underpinning for Christian moral values.  This is one theory where religion is closely associated with morals and ethics.

Immanuel Kant (1779), based his philosophy on reason, rather than religion and he believed that you should help people no matter what your desires are.  He believed lying was wrong no matter what the circumstances were.  I agree with this to a certain extent because lying is seen to be morally wrong, however if you are going to help someone and no harm comes to any one else then you are in a sense doing it for a good reason.

However, in contrast to Kant, JS Mill (1861) believed that doing right was to produce the greatest good for the greatest number.  Therefore, if doing wrong would eventually help out a greater number of people then it would be right. The example given in the Reader is a very controversial one that many people will have difference opinions on.  This theory suggests, "If you killed one person, in order to save nine people" then this decision would be justified. Logically I agree with this, but morally I think it would depend on that one persons intentions and the situation.  For example; if the one person was completely innocent then what gives any one the right to take their life.  However, if that one person was threatening to kill the other nine innocent people then in that instance I feel for the safety of the others it would be morally right to kill that one person as they are going against the law.    

There are three theoretical approaches to ethics:

CONSEQUENTIALISM - This theory agrees with JS Mill's theory that an act can be morally right if the consequences benefit the greater good.     

DEONTOLOGY- This agrees with Kant's theory, that the only good thing is good will and that a motive behind an action determines whether or not it is morally right.

VIRTUE ETHICS- This theory can be traced back to Plato and Aristotle where they is a greater emphasis on being rather than doing.   

The passage of time can have an effect on the notions of what is now morally right.  For example; Homosexuality used to be illegal in the UK in 1967 and now same sex marriage in the UK has been made legally and morally right.

The Hart-Devlin debate is interesting as Hart (1963) argues the law's purpose is more about a necessity to prevent certain harmful acts e.g. killing, theft, violence.  Where as, Devlin (1959) argues that the private behaviour should be regulated morally deriving from Christianity.  Therefore, ethics is being argued between Law and Religion.

Ethics are considered and thought about in every aspect of our lives. For example; personal, professional, public and private.  It governs our actions and guides the decisions we take and what we do.  Codes of conduct have been developed in established professions, by which professionals follow in order to uphold certain standards.  This is why as performers we have to sign contracts and codes of conduct. 

Laws have been put in place to uphold standards and make sure no harm is placed upon anyone.  Going against these Acts is seen as being legally and morally wrong.
  • Data Protection Act
  • Human Rights Act
  • Childrens Act
  • Equality Act

Morals and Ethics raise NORMATIVE questions such as "Is it right to..?" as opposed to factual ones.  This leaves the question more open in regards to peoples answers.  By answering a normative question they are more likely to give their opinion and share their morals and beliefs.  These types of questions would be more beneficial when gathering information for my Inquiry as the factual questions don't allow others to expand on and justify their answers.

Three processes and definitions of moral philosophy are:

METEATHICS: An analysis which involves trying to discern what moral terms are generally understood to mean.

THEORETICAL NORMATIVE ETHICS: Involves making moral judgements and developing moral theories.
  • Moral axiology - theories of good and evil
  • Virtue Ethics - theories of moral excellence in character
  • Theory of moral obligation - what kinds of actions are morally permissable.
APPLIED ETHICS: Finding acceptable resolutions or moral problems e.g. professional ethics/research ethics.

There are different ways of discussing an ethical problem.

Descriptive ethics: 
  • An objective description of the reasons behind moral choices and values in society.
  • Does not examine or question issues
  • States "What" the case is
Normative ethics:
  • Examines the norm or principles that people use when they make moral choices
  • Raises Deontological questions about the values expressed through moral choices.
  • Whether an action is "Right or Wrong".
Ethical Arguments see the premises (the facts, situation and norms of behaviour used by yourself or those involved) move logically to the conclusions.  It is important to acknowledge objectivity and subjectivity in ethical arguments.  It is more likely to follow universal principles if the ethics are based on reason and objectivity.  

There is also an argument of moral relativism, which holds the view that there is no universal moral norms.  It depends on the context.  For example; What is right or good in one society or time may not be the same in another.  I feel this relates back to my views on the question "Is it right to kill one person to save nine people?".         


Ethical Considerations for my Professional Inquiry

There are many ethics I need to consider when dealing with the people I will be gathering data from.  I will need to consider the points below and I have started to answer these questions in my journal:

  • What is the motivation behind the Inquiry?
  • Does the Inquirer want to bring about a social (professional) good?
  • Who stands to benefit most from the research?
  • Who are the participants? (role, experience, age?)
  • How have you chosen these participants?
  • Why were the participants chosen?
  • How will you contact them?  Will you need to talk to Gatekeepers to do this?
  • How will you make sure that your participants can leave the inquiry if they desire to do so?
  • Do the participants have your contact details?
  • Are you storing the participants data safely?

I have also made an "Ethics Checklist" below in which I must follow when gathering data for my Inquiry:
  • My proposals must be Ethical and Legal. 
  • I must conduct research to the agreed protocol and in accordance with the legal requirements and guidance.
  • To ensure I treat the research participants with honesty and respect by informing them of the purpose of the study.
  • Ensure the participants safety and well being through out the research procedure.
  • To ensure data collected is accurate, relevant and valid.
  • To ensure the data is suitably stored and archived and attention is paid to confidentiality.
  • To manage resources efficiently e.g finances, time.
  • Report any project-related problems, failures, adverse incidents, misconduct in the appropriate way.
  • Provide participants with feedback and intentions of the results obtained.
  • Provide accurate, truthful and complete reports.
  • Ensure the work is available for critical review. 
  • Make sure any digital data is handled correctly to ensure it is not manipulated or shared with the wrong people. 
It is also important when representing myself as a researcher that I find a balance between the power of the researcher and the participant.  I need to make sure I stay neutral and don't influence any of the participants answers.

Through out gathering data for my Inquiry, my duty as the researcher will be to present findings as accurately as possible.  The data should represent the views and attitudes of the participants, even if it goes against my own thoughts and opinions.

Many ethical issues have been brought to my attention through out this module. I will make sure I use citation for all sources found and referred to through out my Inquiry.  I will not pass others work off as my own, as Plagiarism has serious consequences.   I will also make sure the participants are at ease and fully aware of what my intentions with their results from the research are for.  I will also make sure I obtain the appropriate form of permission from the participants, this could mean getting a written signature.  I need to make sure I protect my data and store it securely.  If conducting a questionnaire, survey or interview I must make sure the questions I am asking are relevant and all their results will be confidential. I do not intend to use the age, name or class of the participants as all findings will remain anonymous.

I look forward to conducting a safe and ethical Inquiry. 

   
























2 comments:

  1. After our discussion today Sian - I wonder if you could relate some of these ethical concerns more specifically to your inquiry - perhaps about the audit and preparation process for professional dancers - 1. professional ethics of workplace and 2. informed consent for people you talk to about your practitioner research...who will you be talking to and what will you need to do to enable that 'gathering of data' interesting as it might link into your discussion about preparations... you talked abut using your current practice and developing some ideas around that - you also mentioned rejection - a sensitive topic for dancers and but also for choreographers and directors...how will you find your participants - you have done some informal/scoping work previously - was that similar to the Part 6 trying out of the tools/methods for the practitioner research aspect of your inquiry? Good overall points and time to consider the archived blogs form Leon and Joanne...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have posted a couple of new blogs following our conversation on Tuesday. I have thought of a new Inquiry topic which involves my current place of work, that will also help me at the moment and in the future. I have also answered questions in my blog 5d, which relates some ethical considerations specifically to my Inquiry. I am now about to look at Part 6 and after previously doing an informal questionnaire, I realised this is an effective tool and I am interested in looking into it further in part 6. I am also interested in conducting an interview which is another tools/method I am hoping to use for my practitioner research.

    ReplyDelete